Sunday, August 31, 2008

Idea #95

Brian goes to Ron's house. The year is 1983. Brian is holding a pet cage. He rings the doorbell. Nothing happens. He rings it again and looks through a window.

Brian
(shouting)
C'mon, Ron! Open up! You can't stay in there forever!

Ron, with a full beard and looking horrible, opens the door. Brian pushes his way in.

Brian
You lost your job two months ago.

Ron
I'm not in the mood.

Brian
It's not your fault that World News couldn't compete with CNN.

Ron
Yes, it is. I told them we could do what CNN did but in two hours because I didn't want to spend that much time at the station. So, Veronica and I had to talk really fast to get it all in. We lost viewers quicker than "Joanie Loves Chachi." The human brain can't process information that fast.

Brian
I didn't know all of that.

Ron
Yeah.

Brian
Hmmm
(beat)
Well, I got you something that will cheer you up.

Brian goes into the animal cage and pulls out a little puppy. He is a terrier mix just like Baxter. Brian holds the dog in his arms.

Ron
(almost in tears)
That looks like...

Brian
Baxter, I know. I got him for you.

Brian brings the dog to Ron.

Brian
I figured since it's been over a year since you lost him. Now, you can't feed this one whole wheels of cheese.

Ron
I won't. That was really stupid. Once he did it the first time, I was so impressed that I just kept leaving wheels of cheese in the fridge every time I left the house. That dog was not well.

Brian
No, the house kinda still smells like it.

Ron
Actually, that's me. Thanks, Brian. You're a good friend.

Brian
One last thing. I talked to Ed Harken. He wants you back.

Ron
Really?
(beat)
I don't know if I'm ready.

Brian
I think you are. Come down to the station tomorrow.

Ron nods.

Brian
And take a shower first.

Brian walks to the door.

Ron
You got it.

Brian leaves.

Ron
(to dog in his arms)
Hey, I'm going to take a shower and then we are going to get into bed. I have a big day tomorrow. I got some PJs for you. They might be a little big though. They were worn by a really good friend of mine. I don't think he would mind you borrowing them, though.

No comments: