Saturday, August 23, 2008

Idea #87

Ron walks into the news station wearing a ship captain's hat. Brian and Brick walk up to him.

Brian
What's with the hat, Ron?

Ron
It's Captain Burgundy.

Brian
Is this because of the Love Boat?

Ron
Best show on television.

Brick
Best show on television.

Ron
Do you watch it, Brick?

Brick
No.

Ron
They have the best people on that show. The guest stars alone. I would kill to be on it.

Brian
My cousin Ed is a producer on it. Maybe he can get you a part.

Ron
Call him right now!

Brian
It's kinda early!

Ron
Call him or I'll tell everyone about that thing you don't want everyone to know!

Brian
What thing? Are you just making it up?

Ron
Can you take that chance?

Brian
I guess not.

Cut to later in Ron's office. Ron extends an old ship telescope and looks through it. The angle is a distorted closeup of things in his office. The shot continues to the doorway and we see a fun house version of Brian's face.

Brian
Ron?

Cut to regular view of office. Ron collapses the telescope and puts it away.

Ron
Hey, Brian.

Brian
You have a part.

Ron
Super! What is it?

Brian
You get to board the ship and shake the captain's hand.

Ron
An extra? I want a love story! I want to fall in love on the Love Boat!

Brian
Those go to real stars.

Ron
I'm a real star! Call him back!

Brian
It goes to real actors. I don't think he can get-

Ron
Real actors? Charo was on it. I can act Charo into a paper bag or whatever the saying is. Make it happen!

Brian
But Ron-

Ron
Big secret. Whole office.

Brian
Fine.

Cut to later. Brian walks into Ron's office.

Ron
Gopher!

Brian
Huh?

Ron
He's a character on the show that gets things done. It's a complement. You'd be laughing right now if you watched the show.

Brian
Whatever. You're getting a love story.

Ron
Really? That's fantastic! Bravo, Brian!
(pumps fist)
Hooray!

Brian
I'll get you the information on when you have to report to the set.

Ron
Do you know who my love interest is going to be?

Brian
Ann-Margret.

Ron
Viva Las Vegas' Rusty Martin? Bye Bye Birdie's Kim McAfee? The Flintstone's Ann-Margrock? Wow! Maybe after the Love Boat, we can have a Love Car Ride to my Love Home and get in my Love Bed and do the Love Sex.

Brian
Maybe.
(beat)
Was there even a secret?

Ron
What?
(beat)
No, there wasn't.

Brian
I knew it!

Tune in tomorrow for the beginning of Ron Burgundy's episode of the Love Boat.

No comments: