Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Idea #49

The first date between Veronica and Wes Mantooth takes place at a club, very similar to Tino's (the bar Ron took Veronica to on their first date). We look into the evening in flashes.

FLASH 1:
Wes
How do you like this club?

Veronica
It's very nice.

Wes
The San Diego Tribune gave it more stars than Tino's.

FLASH 2:
Wes
I've been taking private lessons on jazz flute. My teacher says I'm quite good, possibly the best in the city. But I don't want to toot my own flute.

He laughs and Veronica nervously chuckles.

FLASH 3:
Wes
I grew a mustache once but it was so thick and luxurious, I got scared that it would distract people from the news that I got rid of it. To me, the news is the most important thing.

FLASH 4:
Wes
Where do you see yourself in five years?

Veronica
Well-

Wes
I see myself in politics. Maybe mayor. Maybe governor. Who knows? All I know is that I'm looking for a good co-engineer to ride the Mantooth train to the top.

FLASH 5:
Wes
This was a nice time. I've got something I've been meaning to ask you.
(leans in)
If you had to rank this first date against all of your other first dates, where would you put it? I know you've dated some interesting people-

Veronica
That's it!
(standing up)
I've sat here listening to you go on and on, goading me into telling you that you're better than Ron Burgundy. You are not. Ron Burgundy has self-respect. Ron Burgundy somehow has more class.
(beat)
Oh, my God. I still love him.

Veronica runs out of the club to return to Ron.

No comments: