Sunday, July 6, 2008

Idea #44

Ron's fourth PSA pitch (see Idea #30):

Ron and Brian are in a janitor's closet. It is dark and dirty. Their clothes are ratty and there are dirt smudges on their faces. Ron looks down at the ground and picks up a candy bar with an obvious fake mouse (the kind used to distract kittens) attached to it.

Ron
Look what I found.

Ron smacks the mouse off of it.

Brian
Oh, I'm so hungry. Please share it with me.

Ron
We can't eat the whole thing. We have to save some. We don't know when we'll be this lucky again.

Brian
Why can't we go outside and find food? I'm sure there's food out there. I'm so hungry.

Ron
We can't. The air is poison. If you breathe it, you will die on the spot.

Brian
How did this happen?

Ron
Littering, old friend. Too many people littered.

Brian
Why are people so stupid?

Ron
I don't know. I just wish there was some way that we could go back in time and warn everyone that throwing aluminum cans on the ground or into the sea is wrong.

Brian
They wouldn't believe you.

Ron takes out a camera. He holds his breath, opens the door, reaches his arm outside, and aimlessly clicks the camera button. He closes the door and gasps for breath.

Ron
I would show them these pictures.

Brian
How would you get them developed?

Ron
That's not in the script. Stick-

Ron lunges to attack Brian. The shot cuts to just Ron in the janitor's closet. Brian is missing.

Ron
Oh, why did my friend have to die and that mouse drag him away to eat him? This world is cruel. Maybe if I yell as loud as I can, people in the past would hear me.
(takes a deep breath)
DON'T LITTER! FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T LITTER!
(sobbing and yelling)
THINK OF THE CHILDREN AND ME, RON BURGUNDY!

Ron coughs and huddles up with his candy bar as he bites into it. The screen fades to black.

No comments: